"I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief.
For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and am free." ~Wendell Berry


Saturday, March 3, 2018

Purple Martins Arrive in Southern Missouri

I thought the wind and my husband were trying to trick me.  But sure enough, on 2-19-2018, I spotted my first purple martin of the season, circling the 4 gourds I had put out just that day.

After 2 days, I never heard or saw him again.
Then suddenly, on 2-27-2018, another male showed up with a female.  I wasn't sure if it was the same male that had left to find a mate, or a different pair.  Nevertheless, they are here!  Time to deploy your housing.
Happy Purple Martin Season, fellow Missourians!



1 comment:

  1. No martins as of 5/1/2018 in our Marquand, MO backyard. Two other families along Castor River report the same - no purple martins ... yet.

    ReplyDelete